Being Green in Japan with My Hashi



Disposable chopsticks are a way of life in Japan in Japanese restaurants. But it does not have to be. For those looking to avoid this, carrying around a pair of your own chopsticks, called "my hashi" for "my chopsticks" is a great alternative.

My pair are lacquered and I look for chopsticks with fine tips as I think they are easier to eat with. When purchasing the set it is suggested to pick up the small plastic cover to protect the tips from getting broken while carrying them around town. The cover is a spring theme of sakura cherry blossoms.

For me, it is not just the "green" or "eco" factor, but it also elevates the dining experience for me to use a nicer pair of chopsticks. My husband has a pair that I pack with his bento lunch box each day.

There are pairs that are even smaller that break into two pieces that need to be screwed together so that you could even carry them around in your coat pocket.

I try to carry these around with me as much as possible. The reaction by the staff from airplanes to restaurants have been very positive. Best of all, most of the time they will wash my chopsticks for me. That is customer service that I love that is only found in Japan.