Soy Paper Wraps for Sushi


Curious how many readers of this blog out there have tried the soy wraps for sushi and what your impressions are. I am currently recipe testing and some of the recipes in this book use soy wraps. I've tried them at home and don't understand the texture. I am also a traditionalist and much prefer the classic black nori for its minerality and crisp.

I'd love to hear from you if you like, or don't like soy wraps. Just a curiosity for me. Is it because nori is something that people don't like at first?

Looking at the ingredients listed on this company's website it looks like it is filled with things I don't know:

Ingredients: Non-GMO soybean protein, 
Non-GMO soy flour, vegetable glycerin,
organic soybean oil, water
organic soybean oil, waterpaprika extract color(glycerol, paprika, deionized water, sucrose esters, mono & diglycerides of fatty acids, ascorbyl palmitate, DL alpha tocopherol {vitamin E]).


The soy wraps come in green, yellow, pink, orange, and sesame. It looks a bit like Ninben's katsuobushi sushi wraps.

Thanks in advance for your feedback. It doesn't affect the cookbook at all, just my curiosity. Arigato.