Anago Chirashizushi 穴子ちらし寿司


My aunt in Osaka has a lot in common with my husband. They have both worked at retail stores selling seafood. I love shopping with both of them as I always learn about new seafood and what to look for before purchasing something.

My Osaka aunt is also a great cook. As a mother of three she managed keeping everyone well fed. With three men in the house there was always a lot of food on the table.

When I visit her we often have the local favorite okonomiyaki. But there is one dish that I will always associate with her. Anago (or unagi if you can't get anago) chirashizushi. It's an economical way to have anago and unagi which is really expensive this year. There are enough vegetables in the dish so this and a bowl of soup is perfect for lunch.


Anago and unagi are both in season this time of year. The anago I found at the market was already grilled and cut up. Thinly slice a Japanese cucumber, lightly salt it, set aside for a few minutes, and then squeeze of excess water. Meanwhile julienne some shiso and a myoga. In a large donburi bowl combine rice, anago, salted cucumbers, shiso, and myoga. Add some toasted sesame seeds and stir to combine.

The anago is a bit meaty so it is perfectly balanced by the juicy cucumbers, refreshing shiso and the myoga that packs a tiny punch. If you are lucky enough to have anago or unagi in your market then this is a dish worth making.