Furikake Tasting Round One ふりかけ





Growing up we always had furikake in the house. It was a way to make white rice into a light snack, especially after coming home from school. Back in the 70s furikake was simple stuff, some nori and either something like fish flakes or dried egg yolks. Now I carefully peruse the furikake section of the supermarket (or the 100 yen shop) as the variety is amazing. I am one of those people that needs to try everything at least once if I can. So when I see a new type of furikake I immediately am curious as to how it will taste.



This first pack caught my eye as it is based on the popular taberu ra-yu (edible chili oil) that is taking the country by storm. While it's not as good as the real stuff, it's not a bad substitute. It includes tiny dried shrimp, and the mysterious crunchy bits of ra-yu. Ohmoriya has a great selection of furikake, in particular, I love the kari kari series that includes bits of crunchy umeboshi or takuan.



Another one that grabbed my attention was this pack as I love tarako and mentaiko, and I am also a fan of this company's products. Nagatanien has other great flavors like chirimen sansho, uni, and sukiyaki. However, I will have to say that this was the first of their products that I didn't care for. The texture was too much like sand. But, their other furikake are definitely worth trying, especially the chirimen sansho.


Mishima may be my favorite furikake company as they produce Yukari (dried, red shiso furikake) and Nameshi (dried, salted greens), both of which I always have in my pantry. This product is yukari, shirasu (tiny, dried anchovies), and sesame seeds. We loved this and will definitely get more. The shirasu was a nice contrast to the tart shiso leaves. I am going to try this over some angel hair pasta with some extra virgin olive oil. I can already tell it is going to be a hit.

Do you have any favorite furikake? Please post below if you do.